DigiKam And Sony DSC-P10 Wont Talk

When I select my Sony DSC-P10 (PTP or Normal mode) in digiKam's Camera drop down I get this: "Failed to connect to camera. Please make sure its connected properly and turned on. Would you like to try again?" I'm reasonably sure that it's connected properly having followed my Sony manual instructions. The blue viewing screen shows USB Mode NORMAL or PTP(whichever I select in the setup menu) with the four red dots that quickly turn to white shortly after turning on the camera. DigiKam didn't autodetect my camera but I found it listed in the db file and selected it from the Add Camera list. I read all the related manuals and the set up info in all the "refered to" configuration files. Nothing works. I'm bewildered at how many configuration files for different programs that is required to set up digiKam. At least my scanner works as I'm able to scan from it and place the image in my Album->Pictures file. However, I'm not able to use the memory card reader to download images from the memory stick. I would like to use my Epson Stylus CX6400 memory card reader to download images from the camera but haven't seen any reference to it. I'm reasonably sure this is all some Debian setup issue but can't figure it out myself after reading manuals and all instructions in the various configuration files. I'm still a newbie with Debian and Linux in general and definately would appreciate any help getting my camera images downloaded. I didn't include any setup/configuration files as there are so many; please request what is pertinent and I'll transmit them. Please copy my email address on any replys as I'm not subscribed(I'll monitor the list but it's easier to reply if you cc my email address).
Thanks for your consideration and help,

Leonard Chatagnier