Sarge install problem

I tried installing Sarge from a DVD to a laptop. As I don't like gdm, I tried
replacing it with kdm during the install process. I chose "subpixel
rendering" as recommended by the installer. Now the fonts and sometimes the
windows in kdm and in KDE are far too big even though the fonts are set to 10
or 12 points. The fonts in konsole are however fine, everything in gnome is
fine, and the system itself seems OK. The screen itself is OK, e.g. the
icons, taskbar and background pictures are the correct sizes. KDE is however
unusable as only a few words at a time fit on the screen (The huge letters
are incidently completely sharp, i.e. not magnified 10 or 12 pt letters).

I tried using the KDE control center and xf86config (using vesa) to remedy
this without success. I also tried purging and reinstalling both kdem and gdm
several times to no avail. Gdm is also too large.

One other thing: after 10 minutes or so the USB mouse stops working, may be a
unrelated problem.

Any ideas how to solve this or should I just try a complete new install at
this point? Is there any way to get back to the Debian installer without
doing a complete ne install? Using base-config only gives a few of the
setting options.

Theo Schmidt