Re: safe to upgrade sid?

On Saturday 16 July 2005 01:37 pm, Anders Breindahl wrote:
> On Saturday 16 July 2005 05:11, Josh Metzler wrote:
>  > There is also the gcc 4.0 transition going on and the xfree86 -> x.org
>  > transition.  The current plan is that qt3 and then kde 3.4 will be
>  > uploaded once x.org has built on all architectures.  I plan to wait on
>  > upgrading anything x or kde related until kde 3.4 is available,
>  > assuming that that will indicate the transitions that affect me will
>  > be made.  You may want to do the same.
>
> It is rather disturbing, that errors in libraries in unstable is not
> prioritized any higher than the ongoing transitions.

As I understand it, it isn't a matter of priorities, but that it is not
possible to get a fixed kdelibs4 3.3.2 packages into sid. Since a number of
the libraries that kdelibs depends on have made the gcc 4.0 transition
already, kdelibs would be building against a mix of packages compiled with
gcc 4.0 and others with 3.3.

> You can of course upgrade, but you'll need to manually install the old
> kdelibs-packages (-6.1). They'll be upgraded next time too, AFAIK.

I did:

# echo "kdelibs4 hold" | dpkg --set-selections
# echo "kdelibs-data hold" | dpkg --set-selections

Then once the transition is over, I will echo "kdelibs4 install" | dpkg
--set-selections, and the same for kdelibs-data.  That way I don't need to
worry about forgetting and upgrading them.

> Annoying. But then again, that's ``unstable'' for you.

Actually, I haven't said yes to apt-get -u upgrade for a few weeks now, with
all the transitions that are going on.  I've been picking and choosing
individual packages.  It is a pain, but I chose it, I guess.

Josh