Re: KDE, CUPS and USB printer

On July 1, 2005 04:52 pm, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> I'm trying to install a USB printer (Brother HL 2030) for use with
> CUPS. The KDE (3.4.1) part of this is that I'm trying to add the
> printer using the printer wizard. There, no printer is shown below
> the USB node. I'm wondering if there should be anything there. I have
> no prior experience using USB and I don't know what the debianly
> correct way to handle it is as I haven't installed a fresh system for
> ages; my current unstable installation has evolved over the years.
> USB kernel (2.6.11) modules are available and I can manually modprobe
> usblp. I appreciate any hints and pointers.
>
> Michael

Hi Michael,

I found a couple of pages that may be of help.

http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/printer/linux/cups_wrapper_install3.html
http://www.linuxprinting.org/pipermail/brother-list/2005q2/001033.html
http://linuxprinting.org/forums.cgi?group=linuxprinting.brother.general;article=1032
http://linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Brother-HL-2060

The first link is too Brothers driver for the printer but from what is
said in the third link you may want to try the instructions for setting
up the printer in CUPS that is linked off the fourth URL and use the
2060 PPD file that is also available on that page as well.

Stephen
--
Debian the choice of a GNU generation.

GPG Public Key: http://users.eastlink.ca/~stephencormier/publickey.asc