Re: kdm not starting after init level change

also sprach Josh Metzler <joshdeb@metzlers.org> [2005.12.08.1340 +0100]:
> > [please CC me on replies]
>
> Doing so, even though your sig says not to. :)

Sorry. :)

> Is it possible that it is starting but failing to switch to vt7 for some
> reason?  What happens if you do an Alt+F7 at this point?

vt7 is black.

> If you remove kdm.log / XFree86.0.log before booting the machine, does
> anything get written to them by the kdm init script, or are they not there?

kdm.log gets written, but only contains the message about it using
syslog to log via the daemon.* facility, nothing else.

XFree86.0.log does not get written it seems.

> > I've attached a tarball of four strace scripts after putting an
> > strace -ff -F in front of the init script start-stop-daemon call for
> > kdm. I can't make sense of it, but maybe it helps.
>
> Looks like you forgot to attach it.

Doh! Now I did not.

Please continue to CC me.

`. `'`

Invalid/expired PGP (sub)keys? Use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

if it's there, and you can see it, it's real.
if it's not there, and you can see it, it's virtual.
if it's there, and you can't see it, it's transparent.
if it's not there, and you can't see it, you erased it.