Re: Semi-OT: Speed improvement from fontconfig

I'm having a problem with fontconfig and kde.

Every so often, all my fonts go away.  Nothing but little boxes.
xterm works fine, only kde apps are affected.

dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig does not fix the problem.  What does fix
the problem is to go to /usr/lib and then remove (or rename) fontconfig.a

Kde running without libfontconfig then initialises itself properly, and
all is well again.  You can move libfontconfig.a back, too.  Do you know
what happens when kde tries to run without libfontconfig?  I would like
to know what it is that needs resetting, so I can better find out how it
is getting mangled in the first place.

thanks very much,
Laura Creighton