Re: polish characters

On Thursday 11 August 2005 07:29 am, Sebastian Luque wrote:
> Ian Eure <ieure@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 10 August 2005 08:51 pm, Sebastian Luque wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Unless I'm way off base here (and I certainly could be), Polish uses an
> > accented Latin alphabet, so the standard X Compose stuff would work. Go
> > into KControl -> Regional & Accessibility, Keyboard Layout, select the
> > Xkb Options tab, and check one of the options under Compose Key in the
> > big
> > list-o-checkboxes. I use Right Alt. Then you can compose accented
> > characters with key combos, e.g.:
> >
> > compose+slash, l = ł
> > compose+single-quote, o = ó
> > compose+semicolon, e = ę
>
> Thanks a lot Ian.  I didn't have anything checked on the 'compose' key
> option of the Xkb tab, but never had any problems using other layouts
> with accented characters. e.g. I often use the spanish and french
> layouts which I'm fairly familiar with, so to write é, I simply type
> (assuming the keyboard itself has an english layout) the double quotes
> followed immediately by the letter e.  I guess using a 'compose' key
> would help in cases where you're not familiar with a keyboard layout
> (as in my current case!).  But what do you do when a letter can have
> more than one type of accent? I'd imagine you use your script below.

I found most of the combos out just by fooling around, i.e.:

compose+single-quote, e = é
compose+backtick, e = è
compose+double-quote, e = ë
compose+tilde, e = ẽ
compose+carat, e = ê

The modifiers are pretty standard, i.e. compose+double-quote, some-letter will
put umlauts over that character; same goes for the grave accents.

> > ...and so on. I have this handy shellscript that lets me paste a letter
> > from KCharSelect, and it will show the key combo to enter it:
>
> The problem is that I can't even find the polish accented characters
> in KCharSelect.  I haven't looked at all the fonts, but doing that
> everytime I need to find a character seems extremely inefficient to
> me.  Do you use KCharSelect in a better way?

I just visually scan the contents of the tables. Table 0 seems to have most of
the accented Latin-1 characters.

You may also be able to find a character by googling it's name on the site:
fileformat.info. They have a map of all of Unicode, and you should be able to
turn up what you're looking for.

> Your script looks great for other cases where I /can/ find the
> character!

It's not actually mine, I found it online somewhere. But you're welcome
nonetheless.