mime.types and mailcap

I'm trying to sort though a minor problem of a non-kde app that features some
'buttons' to launch a web browser taking you to various sites relating to
this app.  Clicking these buttons does nothing.  I'm told that this app uses
the mime.type and/or mailcap files to determine the browser to use.  Further,
they hinted that under KDE, other unspecified steps are needed due to KDE's
mechanism of associating file types conflicting with the wxwidgets library's
methods.  Are there any known issues relating to the harmonic existence of
KDE and wxwidgets and how they use or share mime.types?