Re: Upgrading KDE and it's dependencies

Larry Garfield wrote:
> Am I the only one who upgrades KDE without problems?  In the 2+ years I've
> been using Debian, I've taken KDE from 2.2.2 to 3.4.1, including every point
> release along the way, with only one hiccup; And that was a random 3rd party
> repository for KDE 3.0 under Woody that jammed on the KDEPIM package at one
> point.  Aside from that problem 2 years ago, KDE upgrades haven't caused me
> any notable problems.  Just remember to log out and back in again after
> upgrading kdelibs or kicker or something along those lines and you're
> fine. :-)

I don't know.  But certainly in my work lab engineering environment
with a lot of random users installing a lot of random kde components
such that no two systems have exactly the same list of kde packages
installed it never upgrades cleanly from one version to the next.
This includes a stock upgrade from woody to sarge, which is really the
only valid Debian operation.  It also includes moving from various
sarge testing release snapshots to other sarge testing release
snapshots.

I think the problem is that the web of dependencies in the kde
packages has been very complex.  I don't know if this is now better in
the released sarge.  But during the testing phase APT (either apt-get
or aptitude) would find a different local minima than the one I want.
The problems are almost always one of two types.  APT wants to remove
a large number of packages that I want installed.  Those are actually
fairly easy.  Let it remove those packages and just install them again
later.  But you have to keep track so you know what was installed so
that you can install them again.

But the harder problem is when a package fails to install and leaves
things 'i'nstalled but 'U'nconfigured.  Running install -f and such I
have often seen things from the sarge testing releases get into a
state where they will fail repeatedly.  At that point apt can't make
progress forward to install and can't make progress back to remove.  I
get out of that state by reaching down to dpkg and removing the
package explicitly.  That usually needs '--force-depends', which I hate
using but has been the only way to break the cycle.  Then getting
everything off the system and reinstalling has been the only solution
in many cases for the machines I have dealt with.

Of course after a KDE upgrade any running KDE programs get confused.
So I always do KDE ugprades from the text console without KDE
running.  But never at any time has a reboot been needed.  :-)

Bob