KDM locks me out

After installing KDE 3.4 and KDM 3.4.0-0pre3 specifically, I found to my
displeasure after restarting that KDM won't let me in. I can't type in
the password field and after each keypress the widgets in the login
window are locked. I can access the menu item for restart, but that's
about all I can do. I noticed, that the only two session types offered
are "default" and "failsafe", notably no "KDE". Without being able to
type, though, I can't login anyway. Also, I can't switch to another
virtual console.

To get in, I had to boot in single user mode an disable KDM. Now, I
don't think this is a bug in KDM, rather some kind of misconfiguration
on my part. Any ideas what might be causing this behavior?

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig               Most people would rather die than think.
mailto:michael@schuerig.de                            In fact, they do.