Re: New font defaults for new users - feedback wanted!

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 00:22, Nick Boyce wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 12:16:26 -0400, Christopher Martin wrote:
> > A 17" display, 16" viewale, at 1024x768 is ~80 dpi, but most people
> > probably run at 1280x1024,
>
> Just FYI, since you asked for feedback (and because most of my
> colleagues say the same as you):  I use 17" monitors everywhere, and
> I run at either 800x600 or 1024x768 resolution depending on which
> version of OtherOS[TM], or KDE, I'm using.  I've tried running at
> higher resolutions, but frankly I value my eyesight, and feel it
> would suffer if I used such resolutions on 17" screens.  My eyesight
> is basically OK, but my eyes (irises) have a tendency to become
> inflamed if I incur eye-strain ...

If that's the case, you probably just haven't set your DPI, font-sizes
and icon sizes appropriately. Personally, I run at 1600x1200 at
21" (100 DPI) or 1400x1050 at 15" (117 DPI). Anything less is
pixelated, and that if anything gives me eye-strain.

Some silly would-be Web designers specify font sizes in terms of pixels,
but that be worked around with custom style sheets or specifying a
minimum font size in the settings of $webbrowser. The only catch I can
think of then are the silly would-be Web designers who use graphics for
text or other small and vital elements.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/