Associating files with gvim, purging KWrite?

Since kvim was recently removed from Sid, I've run into trouble.

I've grudgingly accepted gvim as a substitute, but for some reason, KDE
refuses to acknowledge the file association changes I make, either from
Konqueror (through the file properties, open with and remember
application association, or edit file type) or the Control Centre. gvim
only appears in the Debian menu hierarchy. Does KDE forbid associating
files with programs in that hierarchy?

On a related note, is there a way to purge KWrite? The fact that it
seems to be ranked as a default preference for anything text-related
even after installation of superior editors really bugs me. (Insert
rant about editor redundancy in KDE.)

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/