Re: crashes and hangs in KDE 3.4

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 20:42 +1000, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> I love KDE, and 3.4 is the best and nicest looking version yet.  But I'm
> sick of my applications crashing all the time.

I'm at two ends on this.  A part of me still prefers kde 3.3.2, but
overall kde 3.4 is nice, I just can't say it's enough of an improvement
over 3.3.2 to warrant the upgrade.

> kicker and kopete both crash every time I log out.

Work fine here.

> k3b crashes every time I drag several files into a project list.

I've only burnt a few disks since upgrading to kde 3.4 a week ago, but
it seems to be OK.  What version of k3b (i'm using 0.11-20-2).

> juk crashes every time I select a certain playlist.  I made the playlist,
> and later changed some of the file names.  Now to get rid of it I'll have to
> either undo the file name changes, or else hack my juk config files.

I don't use Juk, so I can't say...

> knode crashes randomly, about once a day.

I don't use knode, so I can't say...

> And, my login still hangs about 75% of the time as it restores the session.
> I have to log in on a different VT and pkill klauncher, after which login
> continues.

I haven't got this problem, although startup time on kde 3.4 is slower
than 3.3.2 on my machine, but it's a close call.  Kicker hangs on
repopulating at startup, taking around 5 seconds to do so.  kde 3.3.2
never did this and was a lot faster in this respect.

> Is this just me?  Or are other people suffering from this too?  It almost
> makes me want to go back to 3.3.

A part of me feels the same Andrew, but given some time the
irregularities will be ironed out.  I'm not entirely sure if the Alioth
packages were final release, or pres.  I've had a few updates via
apt-get in the past week though, so who knows!  Make sure that you've
grabbed all of the meta packages for kde is my suggestion.  I've had kde
do odd things before on earlier versions, and I could trace it back to
not having metapackages up-to-date.  Try apt-cache policy
<kdemetapackage> to check what versions you have.  I've always went via
the kde info page for the meta packages (although Debian doesn't have
packages for all of them), these are what to check:

arts
kde
kdeaccessibility
kdeaddons
kdeadmin
kdeartwork
kdebase
kdeedu
kdegames
kdegraphics
kdelibs
kdemultimedia
kdenetwork
kdepim
kdesdk
kdetoys
kdeutils
kdevelop
kdewebdev

Hope this helps,

Dave

> Thanks,
> Andrew.

Proud Libranet GNU/Linux user
Libranet The TOP Libranet distribution
http://www.libranet.com/
Download your free trial of Libranet 2.8.1 today!