KDM/X crashes intermittenly on exit

I've been trying to pin this down a little better, but it's intermittent
nature makes it hard to draw any conclusions.  Running Sarge with the latest
KDE (3.3.2) and X (4.3.0.dfsg.1-10).  90% of the time kdm works fine, logging
in and logging out.  the other 10% of the time when logging out, instead of
kdm coming back to the login screen, X shuts down and I'm returned to the F1
console. kdm can be restarted and works fine, eventually repeating the error.
The XFree log shows only:

 Fatal server error:
 Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

no errors or warnings prior to that.  kdm log contains the following:

kdm: :0[10797]: IO Error in XOpenDisplay
Feb 10 18:38:11  lindev kdm[15694]: Display :0 cannot be opened
Feb 10 18:38:11  lindev kdm[15694]: Unable to fire up local display :0;
disabled

In the course of the last 10 hours I logged on and off 6 times, the first 5
times went normally, the 6th time the problem appeared. I might be days
before it reoccurs, or it might be the next time I log off.  Not sure if it's
a kdm or an X issue, but I *think* it appeared with the last update of kdm.