Re: kde 3.3.1 on debian testing does not start

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, rec.sea@btopenworld.com wrote:

It is not a gdm specific problem. I have tried kdm and it starts gnome. The
only way I have to start kde properly is to start some low level window
manager first (for instance Xwindow from gdm) and then start kde from there
(startkde).
<...>

Last time I looked startkde expects X to be running already, so, either via {k,g,w,x}dm or "startx /usr/bin/startkde ..."

<...>
How could I start in console instead of gdm / kdm / xdm, so that I can use
startkde and see the logs?

I use (something along the lines of)...

alias kde="startx /usr/bin/startkde &> $HOME/tmp/kde-log &"

in my .bash_profile and simply do "kde" from a text console (not an X terminal).

hth

- Bruce