Which deb installation program? [was: Re: KDE 3.2.3 backport confusing my woody]

On Saturday 30 October 2004 10:18 am, Matej Cepl wrote:
> There are two huge differences between dselect and aptitude:
> a) dselect is pain in the neck to use (I am sorry, if I offend
> anybody who likes it, but I have met so far just one person to claim
> so; I have met also one SM person -- there are strange people out
> there :-), whereas aptitude was made so that it is really usable,
> IMHO.

Which of the many deb-capable programs to use when has been very confusing to
me. I was very happy with kpackager (which deals with *both* rpm (on other
than Debian systems) and deb packages) until it simply stopped working. I
used aptitude for a while but could not find a search function and then it
completely ruined my KDE installation (with some help from me). Since then I
have used synaptic and like it very much. Anybody know anything which isn't
good about synaptic and why it can't be recommended as the best choice of
graphic tool for simple users? And as we are talking about KDE here, why
isn't kpackager more popular?

Theo Schmidt