Re: Can we lose the 'KDE is cool' blurb, please

* Derek Broughton [Mon, 08 Nov 2004 16:53:50 -0400]:

> Except it's not a matter of writing a description - most of them have an
> adequate description.

  let me disagree. see kde attached kde-descriptions.txt, which
  contaits the descriptions of most kde packages, with the blurb
  paragraph and the "This package is part of ..." sentence stripped.

  I've not included in that file kdegames packages, which *do* have good
  descriptions. see the kdegames-descriptions.txt file. I've not
  included kdebindings' either, which I received from Dominique Devriese
  in an acceptable state (file kdebindings-descriptions.txt).

  so, take a look at the file and comment back. some have acceptable
  descriptions, but must have, in fact, good *short* descriptions *as*
  long descriptions.

  notice, e.g., the exceptions that are good descriptions of kgpg,
  korganizer or juk. but in general, there's big room for improvement.

> I think that's sufficient. btw, somebody added the redundant blurb to this
> after the fact - because it's inserted in the wrong place - resulting in no
> period at the end of the first sentence of the description and two at the end
> of the noise.

  don't know if you're referring to dots in a line by their own, that's
  customary in package descriptions.

--
Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

Man is certainly stark mad; he cannot make a flea, yet he makes gods by the
dozens.
                -- Michel de Montaigne
arts
Analog Realtime Synthesizer (aRts) metapackage

 aRts is the core sound system for KDE (and other systems)

libarts1
aRts Sound system

 aRts is the core sound system for KDE (and other systems)

libarts1-dev
aRts Sound system (development files)

 This package contains the header files needed to build apps that use the aRts
 sound daemon.

libartsc0
aRts Sound system C support library

 This package contains the C binding to the aRts sound daemon.

libartsc0-dev
aRts Sound system C support library (development files)

 This package contains the header files needed to build apps that use the aRts
 sound daemon C binding.

kdeaccessibility
KDE Accessibility metapackage
 This package depends on the KDE Accessibility packages.

kmag
Screen Magnifier for KDE
 Screen Magnifier for KDE.

kmousetool
KDE mouse manipulation tool for disabled people
 KDE mouse manipulation tool for disabled people.

kmouth
A type-and-say KDE front end for speech synthesizers
 A type-and-say KDE front end for speech synthesizers.

kdeadmin
KDE Administration tools metapackage
 This package depends on the KDE Administration tools packages.

kcmlinuz
KDE Frontend for the Linux kernel configuration
 kcmlinuz is a KDE based frontend to Linux kernel configuration.
 It runs out of the KDE Control Center.

kcron
KDE Crontab editor
 Crontab editor for KDE.

kdat
KDE tape backup tool
 Tape backup tool for KDE.

kdeadmin-kfile-plugins
KDE File dialog plugins for deb and rpm files
 File dialog plugins for deb and rpm package files.

kpackage
KDE Software package tool
 This is a frontend to both .rpm and .deb package formats.  It allows you
 to view currently installed packages, browse available packages, and
 install/remove them.

ksysv
KDE SysV-style init configuration editor
 This program allows you to edit your start and stop scripts using a
 drag and drop GUI.

kuser
KDE user/group administration tool
 A user/group administration tool for KDE.

lilo-config
KDE Frontend for lilo configuration
 lilo-config is a KDE based frontend to the lilo boot manager configuration.
 It runs out of the KDE Control Center.

secpolicy
KDE PAM security policy configuration tool
 This tool allows you to manipulate the PAM configuration files for each
 "service" you have created to use PAM.

kdebase
KDE Base metapackage
 This package depends on the minimum number of packages to provide a
 simple yet fully functional KDE desktop.

kappfinder
KDE Application Finder
 kappfinder searches your workstation for many common applications and
 creates menu entries for them.

kate
KDE Advanced Text Editor
 This package contains the advanced text editor for KDE. It includes
 many features including:

  * Syntax Highlighting
  * Folding

kcontrol
KDE Control Center
 The KDE control center allows you to configure all aspects of your KDE
 desktop.

kdebase-bin
KDE Base (binaries)
 This package contains miscellanous programs needed by other KDE
 applications.

kdebase-data
KDE Base (shared data)
 This package contains all the data files needed for a basic KDE desktop
 installation.

kdebase-dev
KDE Base (development files)
 This package contains all the header files needed to develop KDE
 applications.

kdebase-doc
KDE Base Library Documentation
 This package contains the KDE Base Library Documentation.

kdebase-kio-plugins
KDE I/O Slaves
 This package includes the base kioslaves. This includes file, http,
 ftp, smtp, pop and imap.

kdepasswd
KDE password changer
 This is a simple app for users to change their system passwords with.

kdeprint
KDE Print
 This package contains the KDE printing subsystem. It can use Cups,
 lpd-ng or the traditional lpd. It also includes support for fax and pdf
 printing.

kdesktop
KDE Desktop
 KDE Desktop

kdm
KDE Display Manager
 kdm manages a collection of X servers, which may be on the local host or
 remote machines.  It provides services similar to those provided by init,
 getty, and login on character-based terminals: prompting for login name and
 password, authenticating the user, and running a session.  kdm supports XDMCP
 (X Display Manager Control Protocol) and can also be used to run a chooser
 process which presents the user with a menu of possible hosts that offer
 XDMCP display management.

kfind
KDE File Find Utility
 kfind can be used to find files and directories on your
 workstations.

khelpcenter
KDE Help Center
 The KDE Help center provides help on how to use the KDE desktop.

kicker
KDE Desktop Panel
 Kicker provides the KDE panel on you desktop. It can be used as a
 program launcher and can load plugins to provide additional
 functionality.

klipper
KDE Clipboard
 klipper provides several additional featues of the traditional clipboard
 functionality like the ability to offer actions to take dependent on
 the clipboard contents. For example, it can launch a web browser if the
 clipboard contains a url.

kmenuedit
KDE Menu Editor
 The KDE menu editor allows you to make customisations to the KDE menu
 structure.

konqueror
KDE's advanced File Manager, Web Browser and Document Viewer
 Konqueror is a standards-compliant web browser, file manager and
 document viewer.

konqueror-nsplugins
Netscape plugin support for Konqueror
 This package includes Netscape plugin support for Konqueror.

konsole
KDE X terminal emulator
 Konsole is an X terminal emulation which provides a command-line interface
 (CLI) while using the graphical K Desktop Environment. Konsole helps to
 better organize user's desktop by containing multiple sessions in a single
 window (a less cluttered desktop).

 Its advanced features include a simple configuration and the ability to use
 multiple terminal shells in a single window

 Using Konsole, a user can open:

  Linux console sessions
  Midnight Commander file manager sessions
  Shell sessions
  Root consoles sessions

kpager
KDE Desktop Pager
 KDE Desktop Pager

kpersonalizer
KDE Personalizer
 KDE Personalizer is a wizard to configure the KDE gui.

ksmserver
KDE Session Manager
 The KDE Session Manager. It is responsible for restoring your KDE
 session on login.

ksplash
KDE Splash Screen
 This package includes the KDE Splash screen seen when starting KDE.

ksysguard
KDE System Guard
 KDE System Guard allows you to monitor various statistics about your
 computer.

ksysguardd
KDE System Guard Daemon
 KDE System Guard Daemon is the daemon part of ksysguard. The daemon can
 be installed on a remote machine to enable ksysguard on another machine
 to monitor it through the daemon running there.

ktip
Kandalf's Useful Tips
 ktip provides many useful tips on using KDE when you log in.

kwin
KDE Window Manager
 This package contains the default KDE window manager

libkonq4
Core libraries for KDE's file manager
 This library is used by several KDE 3 apps include konqueror and kdesktop.

libkonq4-dev
Core libraries for KDE's file manager (development files)
 This library is used by several KDE 3 apps include konqueror and kdesktop.

 This package contains development files.

xfonts-konsole
Fonts used by the KDE Konsole
 These are the default fonts used by the Konsole
 terminal emulator from KDE. You may also use them
 with other X applications.

 Two character cell (monospaced) fonts in the ISO 10646-1
 encoding are provided: 8x8 and 8x16 one.

kdegraphics
KDE Graphics metapackage
 kdegraphics is a collection of graphic oriented applications:

  * kamera: digital camera io_slave for Konqueror. Together gPhoto this
           allows you to access your camera's picture with the URL camera:/
  * kcoloredit: contains two programs: a color value editor and also a color
                picker
  * kdvi: program (and embeddable KPart) to display *.DVI files from TeX
  * kfax: a program to display raw and tiffed fax images (g3, g3-2d, g4)
  * kfaxview: an embeddable KPart to display tiffed fax images
  * kfile-plugins: provide meta information for graphic files
  * kgamma: XFree86 Gamma correction KControl module.
  * kghostview: program (and embeddable KPart) to display *.PDF and *.PS
  * kiconedit: an icon editor
  * kmrml: A Konqueror plugin for searching pictures
  * kolourpaint: a simple pixel oriented image drawing program
  * kooka: a raster image scan program, based on SANE and libkscan
  * kpdf: a pdf viewer
  * kpovmodeler: A graphical editor for povray scenes
  * kruler: a ruler in inch, centimeter and pixel to check distances on the
            screen
  * ksnapshot: make snapshots of the screen contents
  * ksvg: SVG graphics viewer
  * kuickshow: fast and comfortable imageviewer
  * kview: picture viewer, provided as standalone program and embeddable KPart
  * kviewshell: generic framework for viewer applications

 This package also contains two more general libraries:

  * libkscan: library to access scanners used by kooka (and koffice), needs
             SANE to be used

 This package depends on the KDE Graphics packages.

kamera
digital camera io_slave for Konquerer
 This is a digital camera io_slave for KDE which uses gphoto2 and libgpio
 to allow access to your camara's pictures with the URL camera:/

kcoloredit
An editor for palette files
 This is a color palette editor for KDE.

kdegraphics-dev
KDE graphics (development files)
 KDE graphics (development files)

kdegraphics-kfile-plugins
provide meta information for graphic files
 Provide meta information for graphic files.

kdvi
KDE dvi viewer
 KDE dvi viewer

kfax
KDE G3/G4 Fax Viewer
 KDE G3/G4 Fax Viewer

kgamma
Gamma correction KControl module
 KGamma is a control center module for gamma correction
 of the X11 display.

kghostview
PostScript viewer for KDE
 KGhostview is the PostScript viewer for the K Desktop Environment. It is a
 port of Tim Theisen's Ghostview program which is used to view documents
 prepared in Adobe's PostScript page description language. PostScript is the
 major page description language for printing on UNIX systems and this
 application is used to preview material intended for printing or for reading
 documents online.

kiconedit
An icon editor for creating KDE icons
 KIconedit is an icon editor for creating KDE and other icons

kmrml
A Konqueror plugin for searching pictures
 MRML is short for Multimedia Retrieval Markup Language, which defines a
 protocol for querying a server for images based on their content. See
 http://www.mrml.net about MRML and the GNU Image Finding Tool (GIFT), an
 MRML server.

kolourpaint
A Simple Paint Program for KDE
 KolourPaint is a very simple paint program for KDE.

kooka
Scanner program for KDE
 Kooka is a scanner program based on SANE and KScan library.

kpdf
PDF viewer for KDE
 KPDF allows you view PDF (Portable Document Format) files. This package
 includes kpart so you can embed it in konqueror and a standalone
 application.

kpovmodeler
A graphical editor for povray scenes
 KPovmodeler is a graphical editor for povray scenes.

kruler
a screen ruler and color measurement tool for KDE
 Kruler is a screen ruler and color measurement tool for KDE.

ksnapshot
Screenshot application for KDE
 KSnapshot is a simple applet for taking screenshots. It is capable of
 capturing images of either the whole desktop or just a single window.
 The images can then be saved in a variety of formats.

ksvg
SVG viewer for KDE
 KSVG allows you view SVG (scalable vector graphics) files. This package
 includes kpart so you can embed it in konqueror and a standalone
 application.

kuickshow
KDE image/slideshow viewer
 KDE image/slideshow viewer

kview
KDE simple image viewer/converter
 KView is a simple image viewer/converter application.

kviewshell
KDE generic framework for viewer applications
 KDE generic framework for viewer applications

libkscan-dev
Scanner library for KDE (development files)
 This package contains development files for KDE's Scanner Library.

libkscan1
Scanner library for KDE
 KScan is KDE's Scanner Library. It's used by kooka and by koffice currently.
 It provides an easy-to-use library, which allows you to access your scanner
 (camera - as long as it's sane compatible).

kdelibs
KDE core libraries metapackage
 This package depends on the minimum required packages to run a KDE
 application.

kdelibs-bin
KDE core binaries
 This package contains all the binaries with are used by KDE
 applications.

 You need these binaries to run kde applications.

kdelibs-data
KDE core shared data
 This package contains all the data files used by KDE programs.

 You need these data files to run kde applications.

kdelibs4
KDE core libraries
 This package contains all the libraries needed to run a KDE
 application.

 You need these libraries to run kde applications.

kdelibs4-dev
KDE core libraries (development files)
 This package contains all the header files needed to develop with the
 core KDE libraries.

 You need these include files to compile kde applications.

kdelibs4-doc
KDE core library documentation
 This package contains all the documentation for the core KDE libraries.

 You may want to use this documentation to develop KDE applications.

kdemultimedia
KDE Multimedia metapackage
 KDE Multimedia metapackage.

kdemultimedia-dev
KDE Multimedia (development files)
 KDE Multimedia development files.

akode
akode arts plugin
 akode arts plugin.

artsbuilder
Arts synthesizer designer
 This is the analog real-time synthesizer graphical design tool.

juk
music organizer and player for KDE
 JuK (pronounced "jook") is a jukebox and music manager for the KDE
 desktop similar to jukebox software on other platforms such as
 iTunes or RealOne.

 Some of JuK's features include:
  * Support for Ogg Vorbis and MP3 formats
  * Tag editing support for both formats, including ID3v2 for MP3 files.
 Multitagging or editing a selection of multiple files at once is also
 supported
  * Output to either the aRts, default KDE sound system, or GStreamer
  * Managment of your "collection" and multiple playlists
  * Import and export to m3u playlists
  * Binary caching of audio meta-data and playlist information for faster
 load times (starting with the second time you run JuK)
  * Integration into KDE that allows drag-and-drop and clipboard usage
 with other KDE and X apps

kaboodle
Embedded media player for KDE
 Embedded media player (for video and audio) for KDE.

  Uses the aRts framework for playing media files.

kaudiocreator
CD ripper and audio encoder frontend
 CD ripper and audio encoder frontend.

kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins
au/avi/m3u/mp3/ogg/wav plugins for kfile
 au/avi/m3u/mp3/ogg/wav plugins for kfile.

kdemultimedia-kappfinder-data
Multimedia data for kappfinder
 Multimedia data for kappfinder.

kdemultimedia-kio-plugins
Support for browsing audio CDs under Konqueror
 Support for browsing audio CDs under Konqueror.

kmid
midi/karaoke player for KDE
 midi/karaoke player for KDE.

kmix
KDE based mixer app
 This is a KDE based mixer app.

krec
KDE based recorder app
 This is a KDE based recorder app.

kscd
KDE based cd player
 This is a KDE based cd player.

libarts1-audiofile
audiofile (aRts plugin)
 audiofile arts plugin.

libarts1-mpeglib
mpeglib is a mp3 and mpeg I video/audio library (Arts plugin)
 mpeglib is a mp3 and mpeg I video/audio library for linux.

 This is the arts (KDE Sound daemon) plugin.

libarts1-xine
xine plugin for arts
 xine plugin for arts.

libkcddb1
cddb library for KDE
 cddb library for KDE.

mpeglib
mp3 and mpeg I video/audio library for linux
 mpeglib is a mp3 and mpeg I video/audio library for linux.

   mpeg I audio player (layer I,II,III (mp3))
   mpeg I video player
   mpeg I system layer player
   wav player

noatun
Media player (for video and audio)
 Media player (for video and audio) for KDE.

kdenetwork
KDE Network metapackage
 This package depends on the KDE Network packages.

dcoprss
KDE RSS utilities
 The dcoprss package provides a couple of utilities that can be used by
 applications to retrieve RSS information.

kdenetwork-filesharing
KDE Network Filesharing Configuration
 KControl modules to configure NFS and Samba.

kdict
KDE Dictionary Client
 kdict is an advanced KDE graphical client for the DICT Protocol, with full
 Unicode support.

kget
KDE Download Manager
 KDE Download Manager.

knewsticker
KDE news ticker
 This is a News ticker for the KDE panel. It can scroll news from your favorite
 news sites like /. and freshmeat.

kopete
Instant messenger program
 Kopete is an instant messenger program which can communicate with a variety
 of IM systems, such as ICQ, MSN, IRC and Jabber.

 Support for more IM protocols can be added through a plugin system.

  Homepage: http://kopete.kde.org/

kpf
KDE public fileserver
 KDE public fileserver.

kppp
KDE dialer and frontend to pppd
 This is a PPP GUI based on QT and KDE.

krdc
KDE Remote Desktop Client
 krdc is an KDE graphical client for the rfb Protocol, used by VNC,
 and if rdesktop is installed, krdc can connect to Windows Terminal
 Servers using RDP.

krfb
KDE Remote Screen Server
 KRfb is a small server for the RFB protocol, better known as VNC. Unlike most
 RFB servers, KRfb allows you to share your X11 session.

ksirc
KDE IRC client
 KSirc is the default KDE IRC client. It supports scripting with Perl and has a
 lot of compatibility with mIRC for general use.

ktalkd
KDE talk daemon
 Talk daemon for KDE.

kwifimanager
KDE Wireless Lan Manager
 The KDE Wireless Lan Manager.

librss1
KDE RSS library
 This is the runtime package for programs that use the KDE RSS library.

librss1-dev
KDE RSS library [development]
 This is the development package which contains the headers for the KDE RSS
 library.

lisa
LAN Information Server
 LISa is intended to provide a kind of "network neighborhood" but only relying
 on the TCP/IP protocol stack, no smb or whatever.

kdepim
KDE Personal Information Management metapackage
 kdepim is a collection of Personal Information Management (PIM) tools for the
 K Desktop Enviromnent (KDE).

kdepim-dev
KDE Personal Information Management [development]
 This package contains development files needed to compile kdepim applications.

kdepim-doc
KDE Personal Information Management documentation
 KDE core library documentation. You need this documentation to develop KDE PIM
 applications.

kaddressbook
KDE NG addressbook application
 KDE next generation addressbook application.

kalarm
KDE alarm message and command scheduler
 KDE alarm message and command scheduler.

kandy
KDE mobile phone utility
 At the moment Kandy is more or less a terminal program with some special
 features to store commands and their parameters, but is also has a simple GUI
 to access the phone book of a mobile phone and it is able to save this phone
 book to the KDE address book.

 Kandy is aimed at mobile phones with integrated (GSM) modems.

karm
KDE time tracker tool
 KArm is a time tracker for busy people who need to keep track of the amount of
 time they spend on various tasks.

kdepim-kfile-plugins
KDE File dialog plugins for vcf files
 File dialog plugins for vcf files.

kdepim-kio-plugins
KDE pim I/O Slaves
 This package includes the pim kioslaves. This includes sieve.

kgpgcertmanager
KDE Certificate Manager
 Certificate manager used by kdepim for encrypted email.

kmail
KDE Email client
 Mail Client based on QT and KDE.

 Supports imap, mbox, maildir, pop3, pop3s, and OpenPGP.

kmailcvt
KDE KMail addressbook converter
 Converts addressbooks to KMail format.

knode
KDE news reader
 News reader for KDE.

knotes
KDE Notes
 Sticky notes for KDE.

konsolekalendar
KDE konsole personal organizer
 To support console-based calendaring with KDE, the konsolekalendar
 complements the KDE KOrganizer with an according frontend to manage
 appointments and your schedule on a text-based console.

kontact
KDE pim application
 KDE next generation pim application.

korganizer
KDE personal organizer
 A complete calendar and scheduling program. KOrganizer supports information
 interchange with other calendar applications through the industry standard
 vCalendar file format.

 KOrganizer aims to be a complete program for organizing your appointments,
 contacts, projects, etc. It is in the same spirit as similar programs like
 the now ubiquitous Microsoft Outlook, Starfish Internet Sidekick,
 Time & Chaos, etc. (all for the Microsoft Windows platform, of course.) Best
 of all, It reads and writes the vCalendar file format NATIVELY (please see
 http://www.imc.org/pdi for more information), which is now an industry-wide
 personal data interchange format. Because of this, you should be able to move
 from other modern PIMs to KOrganizer with relative ease. Current users of the
 popular program ical should definitely take a look at KOrganizer and compare
 features.

 KOrganizer also offers full synchronization with your Palm Pilot, if you have
 kpilot installed.

korn
KDE mail checker
 Mail notifier for KDE.

kpilot
KDE Palm Pilot hot-sync tool
 KDE Palm Pilot hot-sync tool.

ksync
KDE Sync
 KSync is a small application using libksync, which provides a GUI for selecting
 and syncing files, which contain data of the types, for which implementations
 of the libksync interfaces exist. It is able to sync data across networks by
 using the KDE ioslaves.

ktnef
KDE TNEF viewer
 Viewer for Microsoft's TNEF format

libkcal2
KDE calendaring library
 This is the KDE calendaring library. It provides a C++ API for handling the
 vCalendar and iCalendar formats.

 This is the runtime package for programs that use the libkcal library.

libkcal2-dev
KDE calendaring library [development]
 This is the KDE calendaring library. It provides a C++ API for handling the
 vCalendar and iCalendar formats.

 This is the development package which contains the headers for the libkcal
 library.

libkdenetwork2
KDE Network library
 This is the runtime package for programs that use the libkdenetwork library.

libkdepim1
KDE PIM library
 This is the runtime package for programs that use the libkdepim library.

libkdgantt0
KD's gantt charting library
 Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB's gantt charting library.

 This is the runtime package for programs that use the libkdgantt library.

libkdgantt0-dev
KD's gantt charting library [development]
 Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB's gantt charting library.

 This is the development package which contains the headers for the libkdgantt
 library.

libkgantt0
KDE gantt charting library
 KDE gantt charting library.

 This is the runtime package for programs that use the libkgantt library.

libkgantt0-dev
KDE gantt charting library [development]
 KDE gantt charting library.

 This is the development package which contains the headers for the libkgantt
 library.

libkpimexchange1
KDE PIM Exchange library
 KDE PIM Exchange library.

 This is the runtime package for programs that use the libkpimexchange library.

libkpimexchange1-dev
KDE PIM Exchange library [development]
 KDE PIM Exchange library.

 This is the development package which contains the headers for the
 libkpimexchange library.

libksieve0
KDE mail/news message filtering library
 KDE internet mail/usenet news message filtering library.

 This is the runtime package for programs that use the libksieve library.

libksieve0-dev
KDE mail/news message filtering library [development]
 KDE internet mail/usenet news message filtering library.

 This is the development package which contains the headers for the libksieve
 library.

libmimelib1
KDE mime library
 This library is used by several KDE applications to handle mime types.

libmimelib1-dev
KDE mime library [development]
 This library is used by several KDE applications to handle mime types.

kdeutils
KDE Utilities metapackage
 This package depends on the KDE Utilities packages.

kdeutils-dev
KDE Utilities [development]
 This package contains development files needed to compile kdeutils
 applications.

ark
KDE archiving tool
 An archiver for KDE.

 Supports: zip, tar, tar + compression (lzop, gzip, bzip2, bzip, compress)
 lha, zoo, rar, ar, etc...

kcalc
KDE calculator
 KDE's calculator.

kcharselect
KDE character selector
 A Character set selector for KDE.

kdelirc
KDE infrared control
 This is a frontend for the LIRC suite to use infrared devices with KDE.

kdessh
KDE ssh frontend
 KDE ssh frontend.

kdf
KDE disk free
 This program shows the disk usage of the mounted devices.

kedit
KDE text editor
 A simple text editor for KDE.

kfloppy
KDE floppy formatter
 KFloppy formats disks and puts a DOS or ext2fs filesystem on them.

kgpg
GnuPG frontend for KDE
 Kgpg is a frontend for GNU Privacy Guard (GnuPG). It provides file encryption,
 file decryption and key management.

 Features:
   * an editor mode for easily and quickly encrypting or decrypting a file or
     message which is typed, copied, pasted or dragged into the editor, or
     which is double-clicked in the file manager;
   * Konqueror integration for encrypting or decrypting files;
   * a panel applet for encrypting / decrypting files or the clipboard
     contents, etc.;
   * key management functions (generation, import, export, deletion and
      signing); and
   * decrypting clipboard contents, including integration with Klipper.

khexedit
KDE hex editor
 A hex editor for KDE.

kjots
KDE note taking utility
 kjots is a small note taker program. Name and idea are taken from the jots
 program included in the tkgoodstuff package.

klaptopdaemon
KDE battery monitoring and management for laptops
 battery monitoring and management for laptops.

kmilo
KDE kded hardware support module
 KDE kded hardware support module.

kregexpeditor
graphical regular expression editor plugin
 KDE graphical regular expression editor plugin.

ksim
System information monitor
 KSim is a plugin-based system information monitor.

ktimer
KDE timer
 This is a timer application for KDE.  It allows you to execute commands after
 a certain amount of time.  It allows for looping commands as well as delaying
 the execution of a command.

kwalletmanager
KDE Wallet Manager
 This program keeps various wallets for any kind of data that the user can
 store encrypted with passwords and can also serve as a password manager that
 keeps a master password to all wallets.

kdegames
KDE Games metapackage
 This is an empty package which depends on the current version of
 every game in the kdegames distribution.

kdegames-doc-html
KDE games documentation in HTML format
 By default the games provided with KDE (the K Desktop Environment)
 only provide their documentation in KDE docbook format, which can
 only be read by Konqueror or KHelpCenter.  This package provides all
 of the KDE games documentation converted to HTML format so it can be
 read with any web browser.

 The documentation will be installed into the usual directories
 /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/<package>/, for instance
 /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/kasteroids/.

libkdegames1
KDE games library and common files
 This library provides a common infrastructure for several of the
 games in the KDE distribution. Features include standardized menu
 items, high score handling, card display, and network connections
 including chat capabilities.

libkdegames-dev
KDE games library headers
 This package is necessary if you want to develop your own games using
 the KDE games library.

libkdegames-doc
API documentation for the KDE games library
 This package contains the developers' documentation for libkdegames.
 You may want to install it if you wish to develop games for KDE.

kdegames-card-data
Card decks for KDE games
 Several different collections of card images for use by KDE games.

atlantik
KDE client for Monopoly-like network games
 This is a KDE client for playing Monopoly-like boardgames on the
 monopd network.  It can play any board supported by the network
 server, including the classic Monopoly game, as well as the Atlantik
 game in which the property includes several major cities in North
 America and Europe.

atlantik-dev
Development files for Atlantik
 This package contains header files for compiling programs against the
 libraries which come with Atlantik.

kasteroids
Asteroids for KDE
 You know this game.  It is based on Warwick Allison's QwSpriteField
 widget.

 The objective of kasteroids is to destroy all the asteroids on the
 screen to advance to the next level. Your ship is destroyed if it
 makes contact with an asteroid.

katomic
Atomic Entertainment game for KDE
 This is a puzzle game, in which the object is to assemble a molecule
 from its atoms on a Sokoban-like board.  On each move, an atom goes
 as far as it can in a specified direction before being stopped by a
 wall or another atom.

kbackgammon
A Backgammon game for KDE
 KBackgammon is a backgammon program for KDE2. It is based on the
 code, ideas and concepts of KFibs (which is a FIBS client for
 KDE1). For a short time, KBackgammon was called bacKgammon (if you
 know somebody who is still using bacKgammon, please force them to
 upgrade :-)).

kbattleship
Battleship game for KDE
 This is an implementation of the Battleship game.  Each player tries
 to be the first to sink all the opponent's ships by firing "blindly"
 at them.  The game has options to play over a network connection or
 against the computer.

kblackbox
A simple logical game for the KDE project
 KBlackBox is a game of hide and seek played on an grid of boxes. Your
 opponent (Random number generator, in this case) has hidden several
 balls within this box. By shooting rays into the box and observing
 where they emerge it is possible to deduce the positions of the
 hidden balls. The fewer rays you use to find the balls, the lower
 your score.

kbounce
Jezzball clone for the K Desktop Environment
 This is a clone of the popular Jezzball game originally created by
 Microsoft. Jezzball is one of the rare and simple games requiring
 skill, timing, and patience in order to be successful.  A ball begins
 to bounce off of an area enclosed by four borders (like a
 square). You must move your pointer to certain areas within the
 square. Upon clicking, a new border is constructed at a relatively
 quick pace. You can change the direction of the borders by 90 degrees
 as well. Ultimately, you must force the ball to bounce around in a
 smaller, and smaller area as time goes by without the ball ever
 touching the borders as they are being constructed. If a ball touches
 a certain part of the border as it is being built, the game is over.
 After 75% of the original space has been blocked off from the moving
 ball, you advance one level, and one more ball is added to the mix in
 the following level.

 This game was previously known as kjezz.

kenolaba
Enolaba board game for KDE
 kenolaba is a simple board strategy game that is played by two
 players. There are red and yellow pieces for each player. Beginning
 from a start position where each player has 14 pieces, moves are
 drawn until one player has pushed 6 pieces of his opponent out of the
 board.

 This game was previously known as kabalone, and was inspired by the
 board game Abalone by Abalone SA, France.

kfouleggs
A KDE clone of the Japanese PuyoPuyo game
 KFouleggs is a clone of the Japanese PuyoPuyo game, with advanced
 features such as multiplayer games against human or AI, and network
 play.  If you have played Tetris or one of its many clones, you will
 find KFouleggs easy to learn.

kgoldrunner
A KDE clone of the Loderunner arcade game
 KGoldrunner, a game of action and puzzle solving.  Run through the
 maze, dodge your enemies, collect all the gold and climb up to the
 next level.

 You must guide the hero with the mouse or keyboard and collect all
 the gold nuggets, then you can climb up into the next level.  Your
 enemies are also after the gold and they will kill you if they catch
 you!

 The problem is you have no weapon to kill them.  All you can do is
 run away, dig holes in the floor to trap them or lure them into some
 area where they cannot hurt you.  After a short time a trapped enemy
 climbs out of his hole, but if it closes before that, he will die and
 reappear somewhere else.

kjumpingcube
Tactical one or two player game
 KJumpingCube is a simple tactical game. You can play it against the
 computer or against a friend. The playing field consists of squares
 that contains points.  By clicking on the squares you can increase
 the points and if the points reach a maximum the points will jump to
 the squares neighbours and take them over. Winner is the one, who
 owns all squares.

klickety
A Clickomania-like game for KDE
 Klickety is an adaptation of the (perhaps) well-known Clickomania
 game; it is very similar to the "same" game.

klines
Color lines for KDE
 KLines is a simple game. It is played by one player, so there is only
 one winner :-). You play for fun and against the high score. It was
 inspired by a well known game - "Color lines", written for DOS by
 Olga Demina, Igor Demina, Igor Ivkin and Gennady Denisov back in
 1992.

 The main rules of the game are as simple as possible: you move (using
 the mouse) marbles from cell to cell and build lines (horizontal,
 vertical or diagonal). When a line contains 5 or more marbles, they
 are removed and your score grows. After each turn the computer drops
 three more marbles.

kmahjongg
the classic mahjongg game for KDE project
 Your mission in this game is to remove all tiles from the game board. A
 matching pair of tiles can be removed, if they are 'free', which means that
 no other tiles block them on the left or right side.

kmines
Minesweeper for KDE
 KMines is the classic Minesweeper game. You must uncover all the
 empty cases without blowing on a mine.

 When you uncover a case, a number appears : it indicates how many
 mines surround this case. If there is no number the neighbour cases
 are automatically uncovered. In your process of uncovering secure
 cases, it is very useful to put a flag on the cases which contain a
 mine.

kolf
Minigolf game for KDE
 This is a minigolf game for KDE that allows you to go through different
 golf courses and waste an exorbitant amount of time.

kolf-dev
Development files for Kolf
 This package contains headers and development libraries for compiling
 Kolf plugins.

konquest
KDE based GNU-Lactic Konquest game
 This the KDE version of Gnu-Lactic Konquest, a multi-player strategy
 game. The goal of the game is to expand your interstellar empire
 across the galaxy and, of course, crush your rivals in the process.

kpat
KDE solitaire patience game
 KPatience is a collection of 14 card games. All the games are single
 player games.

kpoker
KDE based Poker clone
 KPoker is a KDE compliant clone of those highly addictive pocket
 video poker games which are sometimes called "Videopoker" as well.

kreversi
Reversi for KDE
 Reversi is a simple strategy game that is played by two
 players. There is only one type of piece - one side of it is black,
 the other white. If a player captures a piece on the board, that
 piece is turned and belongs to that player. The winner is the person
 that has more pieces of his own color on the board and if there are
 no more moves possible.

ksame
SameGame for KDE
 KSame is a simple game. It's played by one player, so there is only
 one winner :-) You play for fun and against the high score. It has
 been inspired by SameGame, that is only famous on the Macintosh
 platform.

kshisen
Shisen-Sho for KDE
 KShisen-Sho is a single-player-game similar to Mahjongg and uses the
 same set of tiles as Mahjongg.

 The object of the game is to remove all tiles from the field.

ksirtet
Tetris and Puyo-Puyo games for KDE
 This program is a clone of the well known game Tetris. You must fit
 the falling pieces to form full lines. You can rotate and translate
 the falling piece. The game ends when no more piece can fall ie when
 your incomplete lines reach the top of the board.

 Every time you have destroyed 10 lines, you gain a level and the
 pieces fall quicker (exactly the piece falls from a line each
 1/(1+level) second).

ksmiletris
Tetris like game for KDE
 This is a game with falling blocks composed of different types of
 smilies. The object of the game is to "crack a smile" by guiding
 blocks so there are two or more of the same symbol vertically.

ksnake
Snake Race for KDE
 Snake Race is a game of speed and agility. You are a hungry snake and
 are trying to eat all the apples in the room before getting out!

ksokoban
Sokoban game for KDE
 The first sokoban game was created in 1982 by Hiroyuki Imabayashi at
 the Japanese company Thinking Rabbit, Inc. "Sokoban" is japanese for
 "warehouse keeper". The idea is that you are a warehouse keeper
 trying to push crates to their proper locations in a warehouse.

 The problem is that you cannot pull the crates or step over them. If
 you are not careful, some of the crates can get stuck in wrong places
 and/or block your way.

 It can be rather difficult just to solve a level. But if you want to
 make it even harder, you can try to minimise the number of moves
 and/or pushes you use to solve the level.

 To make the game more fun for small kids (below 10 years or so), some
 collections with easier levels are also included in KSokoban. These
 are marked (easy) in the level collection menu. Of course, these
 levels can be fun for adults too, for example if you don't want to
 expose yourself to too much mental strain.

kspaceduel
Arcade two-player space game for KDE
 KSpaceduel is an space arcade game for two players.

 Each player controls a ship that flies around the sun and tries to
 shoot at the other ship. You can play KSpaceduel with another person,
 against the computer, or you can have the computer control both ships
 and play each other.

ktron
tron-clone for the K Desktop Environment
 KTron is a simple tron-clone for the K Desktop Environment.  Object
 of the game is to avoid running into walls, your own tail, and that
 of your opponent.

ktuberling
Potato Guy for KDE
 KTuberling is a game intended for small children. Of course, it may
 be suitable for adults who have remained young at heart.

 It is a potato editor. That means that you can drag and drop eyes,
 mouths, moustache, and other parts of face and goodies onto a
 potato-like guy.  Similarly, you have a penguin on which you can drop
 other stuff.

 There is no winner for the game. The only purpose is to make the
 funniest faces you can.

 There is a museum (like a "Madame Tusseau" gallery) where you can
 find many funny examples of decorated potatoes. Of course, you can
 send your own creations to the programmer, Eric Bischoff, who will
 include them in the museum if he gets some spare time.

kwin4
Connect Four clone for KDE
 Four wins is a game for two players. Each player is represented by a
 colour (yellow and red). The goal of the game is to get four
 connected pieces of your colour into a row, column or any
 diagonal. This is done by placing one of your pieces into any of the
 seven columns. A piece will begin to fill a column from the bottom,
 i.e. it will fall down until it reaches the ground level or another
 stone. After a move is done it is the turn of the other player. This
 is repeated until the game is over, i.e. one of the players has four
 pieces in a row, column or diagonal or no more moves are possible
 because the board is filled.

lskat
Lieutnant Skat card game for KDE
 Lieutnant skat (from German Offiziersskat) is a card game for two
 players. It is roughly played according to the rules of Skat but with
 only two players and simplified rules.

 Every player has a set of cards in front of him/her, half of them
 covered and half of them open. Both players try to win more than 60
 of the 120 possible points. After 16 moves all cards are played and
 the game ends.

kdebindings-java
KDE Java bindings metapackage
 A metapackage containing dependencies on all KDE, Qt and DCOP
 bindings libraries to the Java language.

libdcop3-java
DCOP bindings for Java
 This package contains the Java classes necessary to run Java programs
 using the Java DCOP bindings. DCOP is the KDE Desktop COmmunications
 Protocol, used for communicating with running KDE applications.

libdcop3-jni
DCOP bindings for Java ( Native libraries )
 This package contains the shared libraries and scripts necessary to
 run programs using the Java DCOP bindings.  DCOP is the KDE Desktop
 COmmunications Protocol, used for communicating with running KDE
 applications.

libdcop3-java-dev
DCOP bindings for Java (dcopidl2java program)
 This package contains the dcopidl2java program which generates Java
 stubs from DCOP IDL files, necessary to do development with the DCOP Java
 bindings. DCOP is the KDE Desktop COmmunications Protocol, used for
 communicating with running KDE applications.

libqt3-java
Java bindings for Qt
 This package contains the Java classes necessary to run Java programs
 using the Java Qt bindings. Qt is a very popular GUI toolkit, used by
 the KDE desktop environment.

 It also includes many example programs that make use of these bindings,
 plus many of the QT Tutorial examples translated into Java.

libqt3-jni
Java bindings for Qt ( Native libraries )
 This package contains the shared libraries necessary to run Java
 programs using the Java Qt bindings. Qt is a very popular GUI
 toolkit, used by the KDE desktop environment.

libkde3-java
kdelibs bindings for Java
 This package contains the Java classes necessary to run Java programs
 using the Java kdelibs bindings. KDE is the K Desktop Environment, a
 very popular UNIX Desktop Environment.

 It also includes some example applications that use these Java
 classes, and multiple usage samples of the most common KDE classes.

libkde3-jni
kdelibs bindings for java ( Native libraries )
 This package contains the shared libraries necessary to run Java
 programs using the Java kdelibs bindings. KDE is the K Desktop
 Environment, a very popular UNIX Desktop Environment.

libsmokeqt1
SMOKE Binding Library to Qt
 The "Scripting Meta Object Kompiler Engine" library is used by
 various KDE language bindings packages to provide interfaces to the
 Qt library.

libsmokeqt-dev
SMOKE Binding Library to Qt - Development Files
 The "Scripting Meta Object Kompiler Engine" library is used by
 various KDE language bindings packages to provide interfaces to the
 Qt library. This package contains the development files for the
 library.

 If you are a normal Debian user, you probably don't need this
 package.

libsmokekde1
SMOKE Binding Library to KDE
 The "Scripting Meta Object Kompiler Engine" library is used by
 various KDE language bindings packages to provide interfaces to the
 KDE libraries.

libsmokekde-dev
SMOKE Binding Library to KDE - Development Files
 The "Scripting Meta Object Kompiler Engine" library is used by
 various KDE language bindings packages to provide interfaces to the
 Qt and KDE libraries. This package contains the development files for
 the library.

 If you are a normal Debian user, you probably don't need this
 package.

python-dcop
DCOP bindings for Python
 This package contains the shared libraries necessary to run and
 develop Python programs using the Python DCOP bindings
 libraries. DCOP is the KDE Desktop COmmunications Protocol, used for
 communicating with running KDE applications.

libkjsembed1
Embedded JavaScript library
 This package contains the shared libraries necessary to run programs
 linked with the KJSEmbed library.  This library provides JavaScript
 embedded scripting facilities to KDE applications.

libkjsembed-dev
Embedded JavaScript library (Development files)
 This package contains the header files and symbolic links necessary
 to develop and compile programs using the KJSEmbed library.  This
 library provides JavaScript embedded scripting facilities to KDE
 applications.

 It also includes lots of example programs that make use of these
 bindings, plus comprehensive documentation of the bindings.

kjscmd
A script interpreter using the KDE JavaScript library
 This package contains the kjscmd program, which is a standalone
 JavaScript interpreter using the KJSEmbed library.

juic
The Qt Java UI Compiler
 This package contains the juic program, which is used to convert
 a UI description file generated by the Qt Designer, and converts
 it into a Qt Java class.  It is necessary for compiling and
 developing programs using the Qt Java bindings together with Qt
 Designer.

libkorundum0-ruby1.8
KDE bindings for Ruby
 This package contains the files necessary for running and developing
 Ruby code using the Korundum KDE Ruby bindings.

 It also includes some example programs and templates that make use of
 these bindings.

libqt0-ruby1.8
Qt bindings for Ruby
 This package contains the files necessary for running and developing
 Ruby code using the Qt Ruby bindings.

 It also includes some example programs that make use of these bindings,
 plus many of the QT Tutorial examples translated into Ruby.