KDE and icons

Hello list,

Today I messed around with icons in KDE. To cut it down I deinstalled the
crystal icon set (beta release). After that I had no icons any more. Googled
a bit and found out that KDE seems to need the crystal icon set to paint any
other icons. WHY? Ok the default.kde link in share/icons has pointed to
crystalsvg but why is it impossible to paint icons without this?
After I found out I have removed the whole icons folder and reinstalled the
crystal icons (package: kde-icons-crystal). This package has installed
share/icons/Crystal/ but no default.kde link was set? WHY? So i set the link
manuely but with no effect. Then I renamed the folder Crystal to crystalsvg
reset the link and it worked. Is crystalsvg hardcoded into KDE? I can not
imagine...
Is this all because I am using unstalbe?

Second point.
Now I choose an iconset (e.g. crystal or any other I have installed via apt)
but not all action or entrys for example in the startmenu have icons. There
are a lot without. KDE should fallback to hicolor iconset in this case I think
but it seems not to do this.
Is there a complete iconset around or must i live with mixed icons in KDE?

Thanks for you help.