Re: Unicode in Konsole

Am Mittwoch, 18. August 2004 19:42 schrieb Peter Clark:
> 	I'm scratching my head over this one: I'd set my console environment to
> UTF-8, but it didn't show up correctly in Konsole. Instead of Unicode
> characters, I got a lot of two-byte characters, like Á¶ and all that. I was
> using a Unicode-capable font, and everything should have worked fine, but
> didn't. Then I discovered by accident today that if I start Konsole from
> Konsole, Unicode worked, without changing any other settings. That is, I
> can have two Konsole windows open, the second started from the command line
> of the first. The first is unable to display Unicode, while the second
> does. 'ps ax' shows that both instances were started identically, i.e., not
> by kdeinit. (The first one is launched by clicking on an icon in a
> SuperKaramba theme, if that somehow makes a difference, although launching
> it through Alt-F2 or K-Menu->System->Konsole still does not display
> Unicode.)
> 	So, how can I get Konsole to display Unicode without having to launch a
> second instance and close the first?

You have to set the environment variable _before_ starting KDE. Sadly, Debian
does not do this. However, you can manually do it:
$ cat /etc/X11/Xsession.d/10local_userenv
USERENVFILE=$HOME/.environment
if [ -f $USERENVFILE ]; then
    source $USERENVFILE;
fi

also source this file where you normally write your environment stuff (e.g.
~/.bashrc).
Now set the environment in ~/.environment and your problem is gone. As already
stated here, KDE3.3 will make this a bit easier (maybe they finally realized
the problem).

HS

        oder über pgp.net