Re: POP filters in KMail

On Monday 26 July 2004 07:24, David P James wrote:
> The problem with filtering on the server is that KMail has to download
> the headers of *every* message that is over the specified size. This
> means that the headers of messages that don't get deleted (ie the good
> stuff) gets downloaded twice. Since a lot of spam is as small as a
> kilobyte, this results in a massive duplication of downloading if you
> set the threshold at something small. If most of your mail is junk this
> might not be a big deal, but if you're on mailing lists it can slow
> things down quite a bit. It's probably best to use a local filter
> instead, and this also allows you to check for false positives anyway.

	Thanks for your help; it (sorta) worked. However, my expectations were far
greater than what was actually delivered. Hmm. I just looked at the Python
docs for poplib and decided that I could whip up a compact Python script that
would do exactly what I want. I don't know if anyone else is interested in
this, but maybe I'll submit it to the bugs database as an example of what I
had in mind for POP filtering...
	:Peter