Re: packages fetching tools

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 13:30:50 -0600 (MDT), Bruce Sass wrote:

>>> Since people keep telling us that apt-get is braindead, and that
>>> aptitude does a better job, I tried that too, with similarly scary
>>> results.  Since aptitude's output is more compact, I include it here.
>>
>> In my experience, aptitude has its own set of problems.  Alas, nothing is
>> perfect.
>
>Don't forget about dselect.  If the APT tools are not giving you
>enough control then maybe dselect will, especially if you don't use
>the apt method for fetching packages.

I'm sorry ... I've used dselect.  I still have bad dreams about the
hours I spent lost wandering round in there (not to mention in its
so-called help system).  IMHO it's user interface exemplifies the
phrase "as user friendly as a cornered rat".  I can't imagine what the
designers were thinking of when they dreamed it up.

I understand that it (apparently) gives the best level of control over
packages, and it sure is very quick at whatever-the-hell-it-is that it
does, but I won't use it again unless I'm being beaten with rubber
hoses to force me to.

If apt hadn't existed, I might even have been forced to give up using
Debian because of the thought of having to use dselect for package
management.

[phew] I feel better now ... thankyou for letting me share that with
you ;-)

Nick Boyce
Bristol, UK
--
Remember:
If brute force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.