New to Debian and KDE not starting

Hi... I am new to Debian and would like to contribute with a little note.
I was having trouble starting KDE in woody... The error I got was something like:

Cannot connect to X server...
$DISPLAY is not set

Or something like that.

After searching for a couple of days and after reinstalling Debian 3.0 like fifteen times
the confirmed solution was this:

After installing (the last time) I ran dselect and installed all of the security updates available
in http://security.debian.org (I did not have to write this myself because is configured in /etc/apt/sources.list)

Of course, before I had to learn how to configure Debian Linux for network access.

After that I rebooted and that was it!!!

Kde runs very well and I did not have to tweak any config file as I tried without good results.

Of course, I do not have a minimal clue about how it was fixed (Remember that I am new to Linux)
,,, maybe some new library was installed.