Re: KDE 3.2.2 slow in starting applications
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: KDE 3.2.2 slow in starting applications
- From: Ralf Liebig <email@example.com>
- Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 01:20:53 +0200
- Message-id: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <20040528215745.GA5882@loopback>
Xaveer Leijtens wrote:
> When I start gvim from konsole in KDE (3.2.2), it takes between 2
> seconds and sometimes over 1 minute(!) to start. Most of the time it
> takes around 7 seconds. I have a laptop 1.2 GHz, 512 ram and this
> happens also if no swap has been used. It is slow on starting other
> applications as well, but my editor should really be snappy, so for gvim
> it hurts most. When I use blackbox with the same kernel (2.6.5), it
> starts within 1.5 seconds, which is OK. Plain vim starts immediately.
> Does anyone have a suggestion?
I had similar problems. In my case it was a malfunction or an old wrong
configuration from artsd. When I stopped and disabled the arts-daemon
everything went fine again.
Try "top" and look if arts gives you full CPU-usage when you start an
I still havn't found a solution to get along with artsd... => sad story for
an entusiastic KDE-User :(