kdm try to start but back to the console login

Hello All,
I´m using Sarge and KDE 3.2
The problem is that kdm try to start al the final of the boot process, but then a blank screen and return to the console login. Then, I can login as root, and type "#kdm" and kdm starts perfectly. I don't understand why it's happens, because if I select xdm as default disply manager there`s no problem. If I select kdm as default display manager, only after the login as root I can start kdm. I check that the "defaul-display-manager" in /etc/X11/defaul-display-manager is /usr/bin/kdm I also check that run level is 5 and I don't know what happen.
thank you in advance.