Re: default file permissions

Antonio Rodriguez schrieb:
On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 12:06:42PM -0400, Antiphon wrote:

On Mon, 10 May 2004 17:45:36 +0200, Ulrich Fürst <kde-liste@vr-web.de> wrote:

Silvan schrieb:

This seems like what you want. It would probably be better to use a umask of 0007 instead, so you still have *some* control. (I should have used that in the above example, but I'm too lazy to go back and re-do it. :)

If I get it right 0007 would lead to denie access to anyone not beeing user or in the group of the file, and giving full access to the file for user and group? That would be what I want!

No. 0007 means that anyone can write to it who is not a member of your group and who doesn't own the file. It sounds like you want 0070 instead The numbers are (special-user-group-other)

Would some explain further the 4 number system? More exactly, the last
three numbers are clear, they are explained everywhere, but the first
one, refering to "special", is not explained anywhere that I know. I
will be happy to read about it. I imagine that the first digit has to
do with the "sticky bit", about which I wouldn't mind reading. It
seems that in most references that I have seen they don't talk about
it much.

Thank you all.

It's kind of like the other bits
setuid  is 4000