Screensavers are completely broken...

Any idea why my screensavers have been borked for the last six months or so?
Going back to 3.1.x for sure, and even after doing a clean install on
completely new hardware.

None of the screensavers work.  No preview shows up in the sample area, and
nothing ever happens when I click on "Test."

I started looking at this after the new install, on the new box, figuring
something would magically fix itself.  Nope.

I have super crappy on-board video, and I'm unwilling to run at 16 bit color
depth, so I don't get 3D support.  I must be getting GL compatibility
through, what was that, libmesa?  I tried Tuxracer, Tuxkart, and glxgears.
Everything was seriously slow.  No surprise that they were slow, but the fact
that they worked seems to indicate that a GL screensaver might also work.

Absolutely none of the screensavers even try to do anything, so obviously
something is borked.  It's notable that the behavior was the same many moons
ago, on a different box, and that box had an NVIDIA card with the third-party
drivers, and all the 3D stuff was going.  So there might not be a direct tie
here anyway.

I really don't care about screensavers, but it bugs me that something doesn't
work.

Also, I have little users now, and my little users want to play.  I would
ultimately like to get it going so that the screensavers work for them.  I'm
not sure what issues I might run into there, since they're on X terminals,
but that's probably unrelated for the moment.

Any idea how I can diagnose this?  I can't figure out how to run a screensaver
manually to see what it might spew out to stderr.

I did try a console run of kcontrol, and I got this:

QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used

WTF?  That's the same sort of thing I see trying to run a KDE app from a
virtual console before X is running.

Something is borked, but I wonder what.

Might be worth noting that I can't run X apps after I change users.  If I su
to root, then try to run kcontrol, it says:

[silvan@giganator2000] ~/rosegarden
->su
Password:
[root@giganator2000] /home/silvan/rosegarden
->kcontrol
Xlib: No protocol specified

kcontrol: cannot connect to X server :0
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: Registering failed!
ERROR: Communication problem with kcontrol, it probably crashed.

However, if I use kdesu to run kcontrol, it works fine.  I haven't figured
this one out yet.  I don't know if it could be related.  I figured it's some
obscure X thing.  Some dotfile I need to twiddle or something.

A mystery.  Well, it's 5:00 AM.  I guess the mystery can wait.

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/