What's wrong with my menus?

I used to have menu items for almost everything on my system.  Most of the
menu entries didn't have associated icons, but countless things where there.

I'm running a fresh install of Sid that I recently downgraded to Sarge.  I
have all the KDE stuff in my menus...  Come to think of it, *everything* in
my menus is tied to KDE in some way, with the sole exception of OpenOffice.

Either I forgot to install something, or something is broken.  I never
actually use my menus anyway, but the other users on my system do.  I should
fix this.

I remember it used to be that just about everything I ever installed would
become immediately available on my menu thereafter, and there was a whole
system of Debian menus to categorize things that weren't even GUI programs.
Where did that come from?

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/