Re: KDE 3.2.2 for Woody... Careful upgrading..

Jesús Roncero Franco wrote:

Ok, I'd remake my question. If today's preferred method of installing and upgrading software in debian is apt-get, and it has some problems, why is this the first time I heard of it? I mean, from a user perspective, one that reads many debian related mailing lists, apt-get is the most recommended tool, not aptitude.

You just missed it. It's been discussed in debian-devel, on #debian on whatever IRC-du-jour IRC server was servicing Debian at the time, and in numerous other places (including debian-user) over the years.

Just because the userbase tends to use apt-get quite a bit, doesn't mean it's intelligent enough to do everything, nor has it ever been. I remember seeing notes from the apt-get developers warning against its use as a generic tool long ago.

The warnings about how it does its package dependencies have simply slipped out of the general consciousness over the past few years. I still have days running testing on one of the machines here where it refuses to upgrade something, fire up dselect and it figures out the dependency problem perfectly and finishes off where apt-get gave up.

Nate Duehr, nate@natetech.com