Re: KDE 3.2.2 for Woody... Careful upgrading..

Hendrik Sattler writes:

> Am Tuesday 20 April 2004 18:09 schrieb Dominique Devriese:
>> Michael Peddemors writes:
>> > If you notice, I am NOT using unstable, but WOODY..  Again, I am
>> > doing testing of the upgrade, for our clients are going to run
>> > into the same issues..  This is to point out that there are some
>> > dependency problems that prevent an apt-get upgrade, or apt-get
>> > install in moving to this version of KDE..
>> >
>> > I have the ability to deal with these issues, others on the list
>> > may not.
>>
>> Perhaps you missed the point of my last mail:
>>
>> DO NOT USE APT-GET FOR MAJOR UPGRADES !

> Hmm, upgrading KDE is a major upgrade?

Yes.  Meaning that it needs uninstalling other packages and installing
new ones instead.

> Additionally, I disagree with you. I do not like dselect. aptitute
> may be good but the interface really sucks

It's not about an interface, it's about apt-get's logic being
insufficient to properly figure out the correct solution for
dependency problems.  Use either dselect, aptitude, or whatever other
pkg mgt app you prefer, that has proper dependency resolution code,
but NOT APT-GET.  All the bugs in the OP's mail were caused by this.
If you want to use apt-get anyway, then at least use "apt-get
dist-upgrade".

cheers
domi