Re: XFree86 at 15 % in top on KDE 3.2.1

On Tuesday 30 March 2004 07:29 am, Patrick Dreker wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 30. März 2004 13:00 schrieb Jan Ulrich Hasecke:
> > But I measured with top. And there was no load at all some days ago. I
> > use top quite often.
>
> Please check, that X is not running reniced to -10, which is unneccessary
> using kernel 2.6.x.
>
> Just in case...

Amen, brotha.  When I first migrated to 2.6, I had this problem - X was really
choppy, and would cause XMMS to skip & such.  Switching X's priority from -10
to 0 smoothed things out immensely.  On my system, it depends on the load,
but usually X will take ~5% or so, only intermittently, when it's drawing
lots of stuff (unless I'm running games or other graphics intensive stuff
like OpenGL software, then it'll take anything it can get.)

Doug