Scripting to Extract Data from a Web Page

When visiting www.pricewatch.com, users can select from a category of hardware.  If "hard drives" is chosen, a split window is used to display the minimal prices in all sub-categories.  A small example follows:

<SNIP>
$80  -  EIDE 160GB
$67  -  EIDE 120GB
$62  -  EIDE 100GB
$49  -  EIDE 80.0GB
<SNIP>

I wish this information displayed on my desktop.

The application would connect to www.pricewatch.com, read all categories of merchandise, select a catagory, and read the pricing information.  Depending on how the app is configured, you could display all Hard Drive prices on your desktop.

Wait!  I was going to seek ideas about the construction of such an animal, but KDE 3.2.1->Control Center has an option to display a web page on the desktop.  I'll investigate that solution.

Thanks for listening as I thought,

Robert Tilley
tilleyrw@cfl.rr.com