Re: handle-nuisances-minirant [was Re: KDM problem]

On Monday 29 March 2004 09:16, jedd wrote:
>  ] I am perfectly capable of handling pretty much any kind of package
> breakage ] that únstable can throw at me.
>
>  The question you posed a couple of days ago has cropped up on this list,
>  promptly followed by an answer, about 11 times in the past 6 weeks.

So can we conclude that a lot of people are confused by this?

>  ] How applications choose to behave can't be Debian's problem.
>
>  That's a loaded statement, and I'm not sure I agree with it.  The binaries
>  that you get from Debian are typically modified, to various degrees, by
>  the Debian developers -- backports of security & bug fixes are the obvious
>  example, but also enhancements to comply with the FHS, or modifications
>  to make things integrate more seamlessly.

Sure, like kmix doesn't work with alsa unless you give it the right compile
flags.

But in this case, since it worked before, some change must have been made
upstream.

>  But is it a 'problem'?  Some people might think it's normal that you'd

Well a lot of people are very confused.

>  have to select with desktop environment you want when you log in.

Isn't it a better idea to just give people a working session, and let the
people who need something else select it instead. Surely you are not loosing
a lot by having a few people log in to find that they don't like the session
they get, then log out again, select the correct one and go on from there.

I was sure my KDE was broken.

>  I agree with Adeodato that unstable's a place where not everything makes
>  as much sense.  If you think the default WM / DE / UI should be something
>  else by default, then file a bug at bugs.debian.org.

Yeah unstable has weird stuff happening from time to time, but in my
experience this is mostly packaging related.

I have filed a bug. It's #240773.

Anders

--
This email was generated using KMail from KDE 3.2.1 on Debian GNU/Linux