KDM hang after login

Over the weekend I upgraded my desktop system to KDE 3.2.1 (from 3.1.5)  and
did the same on my Thinkpad this morning.  Everything seems to be working
fine except for one puzzling problem.  After logging in via kdm, it gets as
far as the default KDE background and then just stops, with nothing on-screen
except the background.  It does it on both machines, so I guess it can be
called duplicatable.

My temporary workaround is to use gdm and select a KDE session, which works
without a hitch.

The kdm version is 3.2.1-1, on Sid.

Has anyone else seen/solved this problem?

TIA,

Jonathan Byrne