Re: ICQ programs for KDE

> > I've tried them all too, and for only ICQ usage you're really best of
> > licq with qt/kde plugin.

This changed from time to time in the past and most likely will in the future.
AOL bought ICQ and has the tendency to do unannounced changes to the
communication protocol.
All free ICQ clients have a past of spurious lost messages, not working direct
connections and availability data shown wrong. But most of the time, it's
okay.

The Jabber ICQ support depends on the jabber server, as Jabber clients don't
use ICQ (Kopete's native support for ICQ is full of errors, but over Jabber,
it's okay.)
The problem is, Jabber Servers tend to be unstable and badly maintained,
bringing disconnects and other things. Every Jabber client has a "Server
disconnected without reason. This would mean the server is buggy" message.
This is everything but a good omen...

Though (to get back to KDE), I think the most promising is Kopete, as it is
under heavy and very active development and gets a lot of attention, so it
will most likely come out as the best-maintained KDE client one day.

LICQ was very good, but after the main developer gave up, the team showed a
lot off effort, but some bugs never went away or it took a loooooong time.

If you just use ICQ, you'd probably make several Jabber accounts on different
servers and when one server has "an unstable day", switch to another. The
Jabber ICQ transport uses the online contact list. But it is a lot of work to
clean up your contact list, as one ICQ contact starts as two contacts if you
have two jabber servers with ICQ support. But you can put them together in
one metacontact. I actually have up to five icons next to my contacts, for
different connection ways.

--
Thomas Ritter

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary
safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."  - Benjamin Franklin