Re: Upgrade to KDE 3.2: X resolution, Kwifimanager,

On Tuesday 24 February 2004 12:04 pm, Joan Roig Amorós wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I upgraded from KDE 3.1.4 to KDE 3.1.2 in Sid as instructed on the Wiki. It
> has been quite easy and most of the things work great (THANKS to everybody
> that made that possible!  3.2 is really great). I noticed  a few issues:
>
> -If you have set Kdm to load Session Type-Last (like I think most people
> do), it will not start KDE until you point it specifically to KDE .

I've noticed that, too, on two seperate machines.

> - X resolution changed (from 96 to 75dpi) . I have XFree 4.3.0.
> and /etc/kde3/kdm/Xservers has not changed (-dpi 96).

The kdm config is now in /usr/share/config/xdm.  The file you want is
Xservers.  This one stumped me for a good long while, as I need +xinerama
appended to the vt line, and I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working.

> - Control center has two "Display" modules (well , not exactly, Kmenu -
> Preferences-Peripherals- does). The  new with Monitor Gamma and Multiple
> Monitors tabs and the old one with K Xconfig (that never worked for me;
> this has not changed). Maybe this has to do with the above point?

I see this too, but what above point are you referring to?

> - I can not find Kwifimanager anywhere (and I swear, I installed it! ;-).

An apt-cache search for kwifi brings back nothing.  Where did you get this
from?  If you did do a .deb install, run dpkg -L <packagename> to see all the
files that it installed.  I do that and grep for 'bin' all the time...

> I hope that helps. I would appreciate a solution specially for X resolution
> change, two more weeks with this resolution and I will need glasses...

Add -dpi 100 to /usr/share/config/kdm/Xservers, and restart.  That should do
ya!

--
D.A.Bishop