Can't Start KDE

I am running unstable and upgraded to the KDE 3.2.  The packages I used are
located at the repository listed at DebianWiki,

i.e.  deb http://people.debian.org/~ccheney/kde-3.2.0/ ./
      deb http://people.debian.org/~bab/kde-3.2 ./

After a reboot of my machine, to ensure that kdm will start (I don't know how
to start kdm from a command line), I enter my user name and password.  The
KDE desktop background pictures appears.

At that point, all loading of the KDE environment appears to stop.  No dialog
with a progress bar appears nor other widgets.  Mouseclicks cause no
reaction, either left, middle, or right (3-button mouse) and I don't know how
to proceed.  I did a three-finger salute (ctrl-alt-backspace) and had to
enter twm to start a kmail session.

Needless to say, any help is most wecome.  How do you start kdm from the
console?
--
Comments are appreciated,

Bob