Re: Updating Woody X To Backports 4.2.1-14 ?

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 12:49:20 -0900, Greg Madden wrote:

>On Friday 09 January 2004 09:00 pm, Nick Boyce wrote:

>> With this deb source line :
>>    deb http://www.backports.org/debian stable xfree86
>> running "apt-get update; apt-get -s upgrade" gives me messages saying
>> a number of X packages will be kept back :
[...]
>> I'd be grateful for anyone's advice here, before I screw up my
>> system. Am I supposed to do a dist-upgrade to resolve this ?

>Apt-get will not install a package if it depends on a new package. I
>can't say if this will bonk your system but it is telling you
>additional packages are needed. Dselect does a more complete job of
>satisfying depends, or you could do 'apt-get -s intall' on the held
>back packages to see what is happenning there.

Thanks for that reminder - I should have thought of that.  I've tried
it now, with intriguing results :

  glimmer:/usr# apt-get -s install x-window-system-core
  Reading Package Lists... Done
  Building Dependency Tree... Done
    xlibmesa3-gl xlibmesa3-glu
  The following packages will be REMOVED:
    xlibmesa3
    xlibmesa3-gl xlibmesa3-glu
  1 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 1 to remove and 29  not
  upgraded.
  [...]

Well those replacement package names look like they may have OpenGL
incorporated, where the standard Woody ones don't ... except that I
thought Mesa *was* an OpenGL library .. ?!?

Same again here ... but puzzlingly a new version of debconf is also
required :

  glimmer:/usr# apt-get -s install xbase-clients
  Reading Package Lists... Done
  Building Dependency Tree... Done
    debconf xfree86-common xlibmesa3-glu xlibs xlibs-dev
    xlibmesa3-glu
  5 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 26  not
  upgraded.
  [...]
  Inst debconf (1.2.35 www.backports.org)
  [...]

It's pretty much the same with every kept-back package I try manually
installing.  More curiously, the new xlibs appears to conflict with
Abiword (which I'd forgotten I'd ever installed, so that's fine with
me) _and_ Nethack ... weird ! :

  glimmer:/usr# apt-get -s install xlibs
  Reading Package Lists... Done
  Building Dependency Tree... Done
    debconf xbase-clients xfree86-common xlibmesa3-glu xlibs-dev
  The following packages will be REMOVED:
    abiword abiword-common abiword-gtk abiword-plugins nethack
    nethack-common nethack-x11
    xlibmesa3-glu
  5 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 7 to remove and 26  not
  upgraded.
  [...]

and I get the same with xterm too.

>Be careful of mixing backports, that said, I did what you are attempting
>with Adrian Bunks backports with success.

That's encouraging - thanks.
I've taken a [gasp] backup of the system now, so I'm feeling brave :-)
I may just try the upgrade anyway ... after a bit more investigation
of these conflicts.

Cheers,
Nick Boyce
Bristol, UK
--
Steinbach's Guideline for Systems Programming:
Never test for an error condition you don't know how to handle.