Re: kdelibs compile crashes - dependency on Xinerama_pic

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 02:46:43AM +0100, jerry garcia wrote:

| >  For home users there's precious little going for it.  Suffer the
| >  alleged pain of a Debian install (once) and then enjoy the
| >  thrill of painless Debian upgrades (forever).
| >
| >  Cheers,
| >  Jedd.
|
| I fail to understand this.
| After running apt-get dist-upgrade
| what is the difference between a knoppix install and a debian-sid/sarge
| install? (other then avoiding the pain of a debian woody install?)

The following is a guess: some packages in Knoppix have higher version
numbers than those in sid; some packages are Knoppix-specific (e.g.
init scripts to do magic hardware detection?); some packages which would
be part of a standard sid install won't be installed; some files might
be present but not part of a package, or be changed from their default
contents in a sid install.

The pain of a Debian install isn't so bad, in my experience - if it
supports your hardware properly.  When the woody installer can't see
your hard drive, it's less fun :(

Cameron.