Re: KDE slow startup

> I have installed the enviroment through apt-get. The KDE desktop needs
> too much time to start - it stops at initializing services, blinkig icon
> for aprox. 3 min, then the splash screen disapears and i wait another 2
> min. to see the desktop  - also some programes, (its explorer in
> windows, how is it called under linux? i dont remember ...) have slow
> startup (1 min), but most of them starts good. Konqueror for web starts
> quickly and runs ok. However if i disconnect with poff (-a), everything
> is okay. These things only happen when i am connected.

Check your firewall. I once had this problem, and the reason to it was that my
loopback device was blocked by overly strict firewall settings. KDE needs to
"connect" to localhost in order to do some things, but can though run without
also.

> Also, i dont know is this is related, i can not set hostname. Actualy i
> can, but when i restart, its set back to (none).

hostname is set in file /etc/hostname

--
*** Otto Kekäläinen / Osuuskunta Sange *** otto.kekalainen@sange.fi ***
***       PL 197, 00131 Helsinki       ***      050 - 300 8105      ***