strange behavior with keys and virtual windows

I am cross-posting this to debian-kde because it appears to be a kde
problem, but I am not sure.

>From a konsole window, when I hit the up arrow to retrieve the previous
bash command, then hit return, it takes me to another virtual window
from the one I am working in.  When I go back to the virtual window
containing the prior konsole session, everything worked as it should
following the return.

If I issue new commands and do not use the up arrow, then hit return, it
works as it should...staying in the same virtual window.

Has anyone had similar problem ?  How does one fix such a thing ?

--
James D. Freels, Ph.D.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory