Re: KDE and root login

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 08:51:50AM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> QT and GTK haven't been tested to be root-safe.

bullshit. they are not tested to be setuid-safe (kde certainly isn't,
that's why it refuses to run setuid/setgid), not root-safe.
of course you should refrain from running any network applications as
root, as those constitue a similar situation as suid apps (process data
from untrusted sources in a privileged environment). anyway, for an
average desktop user it is not much difference whether only his account
or the entire machine is compromised, so there isn't that much
difference whether he runs as root or not.

greetings