Re: KDE and root login

From: "Craig Dickson" <crdic@pacbell.net>

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>
> > Still, knowing that you shouldn't use root when you don't need it, and never
> > logging on to KDE as root, are entirely different things.
>
> No, they aren't. There is no need whatsoever to ever log on to KDE as
> root. Those parts of the KDE Control Center that require root privileges
> will prompt for the root password as needed; any other root programs can
> be started under su or sudo in a Konsole window.

Some people obsess.  As I said, I will usually use sudo or kdesu.  Once in a
while, when you need to do a lot of work as root, it is simpler to log in to kde
as root.  I see absolutely no reason not to do that as long as you understand
what you're doing.  Anyone who says you should "never" log in as root is
advocating policy over thought.