Re: No accented chars in 3.1.4 (solution)

On Thursday 16 October 2003 11:32, Chris Cheney shaped the electrons to
shout:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 03:12:36AM -0500, Chris Cheney wrote:
> > Which exact version of XFree86 4.3 are you running. I seem to just
> > been bitten by it and I have XFree86 4.3.0-0pre1v3. I am going to see
> > if going back to 4.3.0-0pre1v1 will fix the problem.  I am now seeing
> > both the deadkeys will not work issue and the accented chars show up
> > as '?' glyphs. I didn't upgrade to 4.3.0-0pre1v3 as soon as other
> > people since I don't have experimental listed in my sources.list so
> > this may be the cause of the problem.
>
> I found and reinstalled pre1v1 and the deadkeys bug went away. The
> accented char issue though ended up being the page I was looking at was
> invalid html without a charset meta entry.
>
> Can anyone reproduce the accented character bug with any version of
> XFree86 where they aren't looking at invalidly created websites? For
> example typing accented characters into various KDE apps? If so also
> report your version of XFree86 with the message.

Yes.

With 4.3.0-0pre1v3, just go to http://bulmalug.net and write any accented
char in the search input a the the left of the page:
http://mnm.uib.es/~gallir/tmp/accented.png

bulmalug.net reports correctly the iso code:

$ wget -S http://bulmalug.net
--15:45:17--  http://bulmalug.net/
           => `index.html'
Resolving bulmalug.net... done.
Connecting to bulmalug.net[130.206.130.95]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
 1 HTTP/1.1 200 OK
 2 Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 13:45:17 GMT
12 Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-15

The issue doesn't appear in a PowerPC with last Sid packages but with
xfree 4.3.0-0ds4. I'll try an update later.

--
  ricardo galli       GPG id C8114D34
  http://mnm.uib.es/~gallir/