Doesn't & shouldn't kde-core have a depend-require on an X system?

I tried to install kde (& gnome) last night on a base sid system.  [I had
already dl'd & dpkg -i libsensors...] Neither pulled down an X server, and
one (or both), when I tried to start them, brought up a gui type screen with
a message box saying somethning like "no X server installed".

I used dselect, and chose kde-core, and let dselect choose what packages to
dl.

Did I forget something?

Shouldn't kde-core have a depend requires on an X server?