Re: smb printing

Am Montag, 29. September 2003 01:07 schrieb Peter Nuttall:
> network. Can I print from kde on debian and it come out of the windows
> printer?
> I am sorry if this is a little OT but I use kde and kde based apps (such as
> koffice) mainly and I just want kde to print.

Actually, the easiest way to print to Windows is by using CUPS as printing
system (which is the preferred KDE printing system), and the easiest way to
set up that is kcontrol. So this is not really off topic.
Go to devices/printer and simply add your printer, the KDE printing system is
quite slick, so you can even set up remote printers as user as you should be
used to from Windows.
To make nifty things with the printer, like setting up a booklet printer, you
could re-share the printer using CUPS drivers from Windows.

Printing under Linux was complicated until KDE solved that ;)

But be careful about the printer drivers, there are multiple choices for many
printer, with heavily varying quality (For example, one of the Laserjet
drivers always choked when I used booklet/n-up printing, printing at what
looks like 30 dpi or so... at least my Commodore MPS 802 had a better
quality.).

Greetings,
--
Thomas Ritter

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary
safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."  - Benjamin Franklin