Xft2 + fontconfig can't work on KDE3.1.3

I'm using Debian Sid now with XFree86 4.2.1 and
KDE3.1.3,QT3.2.1
While the problem is , if i don't load 'xtt' or
'freetype' in XFree86config-4, only relying on xft2 +
fontconfig displaying fonts,  seems that
/etc/fonts/fonts.conf doesn't work at all. I can not
find those fonts defined in the file in KDE control
center.
It 's weird , because in Gnome 2.2, xft2 works great.
Is there any diffenrence with the way that Gtk and
Qt handles with xft2?
Like this:
  <family> Bitstream  Vera Sans </family>