Re: kde packages

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 11:57:56PM +0100, Peter Nuttall wrote:

> 1. should you run apt-get dist-upgrade as well as apt-get upgrade?

In normal use, you should run just use apt-get upgrade. This will cause
apt to upgrade any packages which it can without installing new packages
or removing old ones.

apt-get dist-upgrade will tell apt to do its best to install new
packages. This permits to both to install new packages which you did not
previously have installed, and also to remove packages if it needs to.
As such, dist-upgrade should be used sparingly, and carefully.

> 2. what does the -u flag do? the man page is not too clear.

This roughly translated to "tell me what you are going to upgrade".

Paul Cupis
--
paul@cupis.co.uk