Re: kde packages

On 10.Sep 2003 - 23:57:56, Peter Nuttall wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 Sep 2003 11:09 pm, Paul Cupis wrote:
> > On Wednesday 10 September 2003 22:59, Peter Nuttall <pnu@ukfsn.org>
> >
> > wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > When I have been runnig apt-get upgrade on my sid box I have noticed
> > > that some of the packages are not being upgraded. Can some one tell
> > > me why?
> >
> > They are probably waiting for to authorise installing a new package.
> > Have you tried looking at the output of:
> >
> >   apt-get -u dist-upgrade
>
> <sinp>
>
> Thanks That worked fine. Two quick questions though;
>
> 1. should you run apt-get dist-upgrade as well as apt-get upgrade?

That is in the manpage, apt-get upgrade does install new versions of
all packages, except those that depend on packages which are not
installed at the moment. For example if a package A is available in
newer version, but in that version depends on package B, which is not
installed up to now, apt-get upgrade does not upgrade package A. It is
relatively conservative, but apt-get  distupgrade tries to solve every
dependecie, it even removes packages if they conflict with other who
shall be upgraded. For example some python-libs in sid where removed a
few weeks ago, as they depend on a python package with version <2.4
but the new python2.4 introduced a new python package with
version=2.4, so apt-get dist-upgrade did remove the python-libs.

> 2. what does the -u flag do? the man page is not too clear.

You'll see what it does if you compare the output of dist-upgrade with
and without -u. It says apt-get to display not only new installs and
removes, but also the upgraded packages.

Andreas

--
Don't read everything you believe.