Re: KDM/X authorization problems on a laptop

Uhm, sorry to follow up on myself, but I got an idea from Wolfgang Mader
off-list (thanks, Wolfgang), that helped me get a bit further, but we
couldn't get all the way. So I'm hoping this rings some bells... :-)

Basically, what he suggested was that I could set
export DISPLAY=localhost:1
and then start a new X server, X :1.

That works.

From there, I could start an xterm, then startkde. The splash screen
displays the progress as usual, mostly like I've previously described:

On Sunday 07 September 2003 13:21, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> Perhaps just after "Initializing Peripherals" finishes. I get "Fatal
> server error: Caught signal 4.  Server aborting". Bad sign, huh?

and goes boom, signal 4, and X crashes... It may be just as it starts
the WM, after it has finished initializing the peripherals.

Not to be dissuaded, I just started X again, KDE comes up, and
apparently, everything is normal.... Yep, so I have KDE up and running
fine, but obviously, going through the whole workaround to start it is
a bit bothersome, so it would be great to figure it out....

Could it be two different, but perhaps slightly dependent things that
bite me? The first thing is the authorization. That can be overcome by
starting the X server itself as the user who will run it. The second,
and probably more important thing, is that X crashes... If this can be
overcome by restarting the X server, it can't be that bad, can it...?

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo