Re: artsd on a laptop question

On Thursday 19 Jun 2003 1:38 pm, Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper wrote:

> Now, I've started using artsd and what I see is that none of my
> sound-using programs (i.e. xmms most noticeably) work when I resume
> (whereas they did before I was using them with artsdsp).  When I resume
> and press play in xmms, xmms hangs.  If I stop xmms and restart it, I
> get the "device not found" error.  If I kill off xmms, then kill off
> artsd, then restart artsd and xmms, all works wonderfully.

Did it work before if while you were playing something in XMMS?

> Also, if I
> do an "artsshell suspend" in my apm suspend script and restart the sound
> server on resume with "/usr/bin/artsd -F 10 -S 4096 -m artsmessage -l 3
> -f&", the sound server does get restarted (as root this time), but xmms
> is not able to connect to it immediately, nor is it able to connect to
> it after I restart xmms--it eventually just locks up.

You shouldn't restart artsd as you aren't terminating at, only suspending it,
it will automatically unsuspend. You should run "artsshell suspend" as the
user which is running artsd (use su), and if the "Exchange security and
reference info over the X11 server" option is set the DISPLAY variable will
need to be set.

--
Member AFFS, WYLUG, SWP (UK), ANL, Leeds SA, Leeds Anti-war coalition
OpenPGP key fingerprint: D0A6 F403 9745 CED4 6B3B  94CC 8D74 8FC9 9F7F CFE4